Centricity EMR is a patient centered electronic medical record (EMR) system designed for use in clinical and ambulatory care practices (1). Centricity EMR allows clinicians to electronically document patient encounters, enter patient data into research databases, and ensure the secure exchange of clinical knowledge (1).
Centricity was introduced in 2003 with two applications, Centricity EMR and Centricity Physician Office - Practice Management. The products were acquired by what was then GE Medical Systems in 2002 and 2003 respectively, and released future versions of both products under the Centricity name.(3)
During HIMSS 2015, GE Healthcare announced it would be leaving the hospital EMR segment thus phasing out Centricity Enterprise. This now makes Centricity EMR for the ambulatory segment, their sole focus and product in the market today. (6)
The GE Centricity EMR features a robust user interface which supports the accurate and consistent documentation for a wide range of clinical and demographic patient information (1). The Centricity EMR tracks medical information for patients over time and allows clinicians to compare clinical outcomes against their peers (1).
Information stored in the Centricity EMR includes:
- medical setting
- patient complaints/reason for visit
- laboratory tests/results (3)
The Centricity EMR is easily combined with other Centricity software packages to allow clinicians to further optimize the management of information (1).
Currently Centricity has two products, Centricity Practice Solution and Centricity EMR. 
- Centricity Practice Solution designed for a practices of all sizes with a fully integrated Electronic Medical Record (EMR).
- Centricity EMR designed to interface with practice management systems in larger physician practices.).
Centricity Advance is GE Healthcare’s integrated electronic medical record (EMR), practice management and patient portal system delivered through the web. Specifically designed for use by primary care providers and other physicians in smaller offices, Centricity Advance helps streamline office management, enhance delivery of patient care, and enable expanded communication with secure online exchange between physicians and patients.
Unlike many other healthcare IT systems, Centricity Advance is delivered in a true Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) model. With this web-based system, practices can get up and running quickly, with minimal disruption, at a modest startup cost. Technology upgrades and maintenance are delivered automatically, with virtually no practice involvement.
- Integrated EMR
- Practice Management Software
- Self-Service Patient Portal
- Secure Medical Management Software
- Web Based EMR Software
In January of 2012, GE Healthcare announced it will be discontinuing Centricity Advance and will no longer be supporting it. The move was to focus better on the single ambulatory EMR/PM segment. (5)
Centricity Practice Solution
Centricity Practice Solution is one of the original two Centricity products. It is a fully integrated electronic medical record (EMR) and practice management (PM) system for practices of all sizes. It is designed to enhance the clinical and financial productivity of ambulatory practices, is a certified complete and modular EHR under the 2014 edition criteria, and attests to Meaningful Use. It also has intuitive ICD-9 to ICD-10 mapping. It is pre-validated for Patient Centered Medical Homes (PCMHs). (7) It is designed to work as single fully integrated unit, if desired, the modules may be used independently. 
- Exceptional customizability
- Seamless interoperability
- Progressive technology
Centricity EMR is designed to interface with practice management systems in larger physician practices. It integrates well with revenue cycle management and practice management solutions.
- Easy-to-use, easy-to-maintain EMR technology
- Integration with most practice management systems
- Exceptional connectivity with other data systems
- ePrescribing for fewer prescription hassles
- Online Patient Portal
- Medical Quality Improvement Consortium (MQIC).
Centricity EMR Database as Research Tool
Centricity EMR was utilized in a clinical research for the management of type 2 diabetes. Approximately 5,000 clinicians provide data to the medical quality improvement consortium (MQIC) which in turn uses the data for a research database (3).This database is quickly becoming a powerful tool as it allows investigators to:
- examine large patient populations
- de-identify patient data
- perform retrospective cohort studies
- determine the primary reason for the visit
- determine clinical outcomes (5)
- use of electronic medical records for clinical research in the management of type 2 diabetes .
By 2008, there had been 12 journal publications and 31 poster presentations using data collected by clinicians using the GE Centricity database (3).
Centricity Perinatal is a clinical information system that integrates documentation and fetal surveillance to help healthcare organizations deliver their best care to every mother and baby. From Labor & Delivery to the nursery or NICU, our perinatal software interfaces with multiple devices and systems, including all major EMRs. In an environment where every second counts, it is important to use an established product. Centricity Perinatal is an intuitive system that has been used to deliver over 40 million babies.
- The Mother-Baby Link application automatically populates the infant record with data from mother's pregnancy.
- NICU and Labor and Delivery chalkboards
- Alerts and reminders
- One-time data entry
- HL7-based technology
- System integration capabilities
- Remote access capabilities
- WAN-Wide are network technology
- Centricity Perinatal - Connect
- GE Healthcare: Centricity Advance. https://www2.gehealthcare.com/portal/site/usen/ProductDetail/?vgnextoid=23738fdab5219210VgnVCM10000024dd1403RCRD&productid=03738fdab5219210VgnVCM10000024dd1403____
- EMR, EHR, and Practice Management Software - Centricity Advance - GE Healthcare. http://www.gehealthcare.com/centricityadvance/
- GE Healthcare Releases Centricity Advance - Mobile. http://www.genewscenter.com/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=12968&NewsAreaID=2
- GE Healthcare: Centricity Perinatal - http://www3.gehealthcare.com/en/Products/Categories/Healthcare_IT/Departmentals/Centricity_Perinatal
- GE to Fold Web-Based EHR - http://www.informationweek.com/healthcare/electronic-health-records/ge-to-fold-web-based-ehr/d/d-id/1102489
- GE Leaving Hospital EMR Business - http://medcitynews.com/2015/04/ge-healthcare-leaving-hospital-emr-business/
- GE Healthcare: Centricity Practice Solution. http://www3.gehealthcare.com/en/products/categories/healthcare_it/electronic_medical_records/centricity_practice_solution2/#tabs/tab56AF3E9D2ACC4372A3BE75B7E26AECE7
- GE Healthcare Newsroom http://newsroom.gehealthcare.com
- GE Healthcare Centricity Perinatal - http://www3.gehealthcare.com/en/Products/Categories/Healthcare_IT/Departmentals/Centricity_Perinatal
- name="Chopra">Kamal KM, Chopra I, Elliott JP, Mattei T. Use of electronic medical records for clinical research in the management of type 2 diabetes. 2014. 10(6): 877–884. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24556384
- GE Healthcare: Centricity Electronic Medical Record (EMR). 
- Centricity - Wikipedia. 
- Crawford, A.G., et al. [http://ca3cx5qj7w.search.serialssolutions.com/OpenURL_local?sid=Entrez:PubMed&id=pmid:20568974 Comparison of GE Centricity Electronic Medical Record
- Database and National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey Findings on the Prevalence of Major Conditions in the United States].Population Health Management. 2010. 13: 139-150.
- Brixner, D., Ghate, S. R., McAdam-Marx, C., Ben-Joseph, R., Said, Q. Association Between Cardiometabolic Risk Factors and Body Mass Index Based on Diagnosis and Treatment Codesin an Electronic Medical Record Database. Journal of Managed Care Pharmacy. 2008. 14: 756-767.
- Asche, C. V., McAdam-Marx, C., Shane-McWhorter, L., Sheng, X., and Plauschinat, C. Association between oral antidiabetic use, adverse events and outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism 2007. 10: 638-645.